In 2014, nearly 3.0 million nonfatal injuries and illnesses were reported by private industry employers in the US. Though on the decline, injuries in the workplace are still all too common.
While the causes of work-related injuries are varied, a majority of workplace injuries and illnesses are caused by the following common occurrences:
- Overextension, the most common work-related injury, occurring mostly from pulling, pushing, lifting, gripping, carrying or throwing.
- Repetitive motion, i.e. carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Falls, including slip & fall injuries and falls from heights.
- Struck-by events, occurring when a worker is unexpectedly hit by a moving object.
- Crush injuries, usually occurring on construction sites or in workplaces that involve heavy machinery.
- Bodily reaction injuries, resulting from activities such as bending, climbing, reaching, standing, sitting, slipping or tripping without falling.
- Motor vehicle accidents, the leading cause of workplace death.
While injuries in the workplace can have grave health effects, many are preventable through safety precautions taken by the employer & employees.
If proper precautions are not taken by an employer, and a work injury results, it is important that the affected employee is justly compensated.
If you have been affected by a workplace injury in Pennsylvania, please reach out to Huber & Palsir, LLC in Philadelphia, and let us be your resource as you take the next steps toward a just resolution.